Sunday, July 8, 2012

MARANTZ PMD430 pmd 430-Taking apart to replace drive belts


































UPDATE SEPT 2010 !
ALMOST 2 YEARS LATER, A FRIEND ONLINE HAS SHARED
THE PDF MANUAL.
I HAVE NESTED IT TO MY ONLINE FILE SERVER 







HERE IS THE LINK TO DOWNLOAD IT :
http://www.mediafire.com/?toa56b3064eopva






My Marantz started to wobble and slowdown a bit with a cassette longer than 60 minutes, and sometimes not engaging
properly with rewind.
SO..
I scoured the interweb to find out how to take one apart. NOTHING...ZILCH.

I have then taken it upon myself to ...take it apart in front of myself. ;)

MAN was this thing EAZY to access. Although you have to unearth the circuit board and the belts under a sandwich of layers, it's
all VERY logical and smooth to get into those guts.

I took some pictures of the process and will be posting them, if you don't see them yet (waiting for my bloody
memory card reader to show up..the usb transfer on my cam no longer works) they'll be up within the week.

The conclusion for me to come to , that made me want to take this apart is twofold, Lack of information available, and
greed with the repair shops. General price just to Clean and Lube this is $125.00..that does not include replacement of
belts or anything. To replace the belts, is usually $50 on top of the other price.
The belts cost under $20.00...as low as $6.00
(A shop in Toronto actually refused to sell me the belts! but they obviously want the inflated handling fees in their bank accounts)

SO I like the DIY ethic..this thing is WAAYY out of warranty, and I learn something when I take it apart!
If we all work together, we can keep so called obsolete technology that works for many things, as creative tools,
in the hands of those that can utilize it, and cut down on the rampant consumerism.

Also, who can pass up the dynamite sound of this deck when recording in DBX..just astounding.

If anyone has a repair manual, ect...can you share so we can post it in .pdf ??





1
 
2
 
3
 
4- note the screws you have to
take out to remove bottom plate
 
5
 
6
7
 
8
 
9
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
31
 
32
 
33
 
34
 
35
 
36
 
37
 
38
 
39
40
 
41
 
42
 
43
 
44
 
45
 
46
 
47
 
48
 
49
 
50
 
51
 
52
53
 
54
 
55
 
56
 
57
 
58
 
59
 
60
 
61- notice how this opens up
with a hinge like mechanism.
 
62- tilt slowly up to expose
 
63
 
64- open, the wire tension
holds it in place
 
65
 
66
 
67
 
68
 
69
 
70
 
71
 
72
 
73
 
74
 
75
76
 
77
 
78
 
79
 
80
 
81
 
82
 
83
 
84
 
85
 
86
 
87
 
88
 
89
 
FINALLY 90 -

12 comments:

  1. Hello, this manual would be very helpful for me, but alas, the link has expired, any help in obtaining it would be great. Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the link has expired. A new one is needed. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the link has expired. A new one is needed. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This page has downloadable User and Service manuals:

    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/pmd430.shtml

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost forgot - thanks for all the photos, they'll be a great help!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I withdrew my comment because I wanted to check my pmd-430 out first. Your pictures helped a lot but mine isn't belts, it's blown electrolytic capacitors, a 2200uf 10 vdc, 2200uf 16 vdc and one I can't read because it was glued to the board. I opened a can of worms, so time to order parts. Funny it still works with batteries and a set of headphones, very low volume until I slide the on/off switch to on which gives a volume enhancement, plays good sometimes but other times sounds like a 45 record set on 33, speaker not working but maybe the filter capacitors. Thanks for the pics saved hours of time I am sure. I will let you know how it goes! ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work! Never seen something so well detailed and illustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you see this message. Super work and thanks for the trouble you have taken. I was changing the belts and a tiny little metal washer has dropped out of somewhere. I didn’t know where. There is already one metal washer under the brass flywheel. It’s smaller than that too. Any idea where it would go ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you see this message. Super work and thanks for the trouble you have taken. I was changing the belts and a tiny little metal washer has dropped out of somewhere. I didn’t know where. There is already one metal washer under the brass flywheel. It’s smaller than that too. Any idea where it would go ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you see this message. Super work and thanks for the trouble you have taken. I was changing the belts and a tiny little metal washer has dropped out of somewhere. I didn’t know where. There is already one metal washer under the brass flywheel. It’s smaller than that too. Any idea where it would go ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excelente ... ajudou na manutenção do meu 210 ... Obrigado.

    ReplyDelete